Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chefhick

seed stating woes, again

chefhick
18 years ago

I am a good gardener who can't get seed starting right. I have been starting seeds for annuals. perenials and vegetables for over ten years and have spent time and money to do it. I had trouble this year with impatiens, vinca, and peppers among other things.

I believe that they all got over watered while I was away in march and never really recovered. They had all been stunted and pale. i have them in the ground now and they are greening well and growing now that the temp is in the seventies.

I have wire shelving with 2 racks with 3 4'flourescent shop lites in my base ment that is not heated but not cold. I am starting seeds on a 4' bed of pea gravel that has a heating cable under it. I works very well. I have chlorine filter on water for my home. I use a light mix of spagnum and pearlite and use bill's perfect fertilizer for a light feeding.

I use six packs and styrofoam seed starter kits that self water that I found out last year kept soil to wet.

I know that I have been over watering could my tempeture also be to cold. I do not leave seedlings on heating cable setup. any plants that I ever had problems with(stunted and pale) always recover within a week or two when I get them in the garden in late May or early June. This year it was real, chilly and damp so plants just didn't do any thing for a week or two.

Comments (5)