Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taz6122

Cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower & lettuce

taz6122
13 years ago

Are any of you growing any of these inside under lights or windows? I've got some window boxes to try it. Would my potting mix work? perlite, sand and Sphagnum peat with an MGPM base.

I've got lights but would rather use the light from the windows, maybe a mix of both for longer exposure?

I'll start them under lights.

Gonna start filling those boxes tomorrow and get back to ya!

In the mean time give me some ideas!

Comments (5)

• wordwiz
    13 years ago

I've got three broccoli plants under a 54 watt LED growing in hydro (DWC). Last year, I grew some Black Simpson lettuce in a window (south facing) at the office, also in DWC. It was great! Got close to 3' tall, never bolted and was very tender.

Mike

• curt_grow
    13 years ago

Taz; I an growing buttercrunch Lettuce in the Kitchen under a single double bulb florescent light fixture 2 32 watt tubes. It is the same as winter growing for me. Just scaled down for lettuce only. No sun at all. The timer set for 8;am to 11Pm. The reason for the In house growing is simply temperature control. I get smaller lettuce ,but it is tender and very handy Not any hamburgers or ham sammys without fresh lettuce for me. I use a homemade potting soil and water soluble MG once a week. Starting to look like I will have a indoor kitchen garden 365. It all does well as trimmed Lettuce, Cut and come, and whole head harvest. I know Pock Choi, Tatsoi, do well so does Swiss chard as I have grown those Also Paris Island Romain, Radish and carrots . So far knock on wood no bugs are a problem. I try to trim and wash my outside produce before bringing it into the house.

Curt#

• anna_in_quebec
    13 years ago

Curt - can you please tell us the varieties of lettuce you are using for such success. I hope to try it soon!

• curt_grow
    13 years ago

anna; romaine Buttercrunch and Paris Island Cos. I grew Black seeded Simpson but for some reason it was bitter. Strange because it grew fast. I am looking for some red romaine or trout so I have some color to the garden. one thing to add I use small pots, 22 oz. cottage cheese containers (holes burnt in the bottom) witch are 4-1/2 inch by 4-1/2 inch or 6 inch plastic pots with bottom cup removed placed in a water tray. I bottom water using the tray. Then top water when I fertilize.

Curt P.S light is 4100 k

• taz6122
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry for the delay. I've moved almost everything outside. I still have a few late started flowers inside but all the veggies have been planted in the garden. I've been pretty busy with my new containers. My neighbor had som pretty large fiberglass containers he used for raising worms. He no longer uses them so I asked and he gave me a couple to make a raised container garden. I've got one planted and am ready to put the other on blocks. It took $50 worth of soil to fill the first one and it's not quite full but that's ok because after I've trimmed the bottom leaves from the tomatoes planted in it I can finish filling it so the plants can make more roots where the bottom leaves were.
    Back to the subject, it's starting to get hot here so I imagine I will be working more on the inside planters now to stay cool. One problem I have is the window boxes I have are just a little too long for the windows so I've got to buy a shorter one or use smaller containers. I like the window boxes because they have their own tray. I'm guessing the broccoli and cauliflower is out because they take more light but what about cabbage? Anyone ever grown it inside?

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County