Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
inquiry about growing lights for a first timer

Posted by cghpnd 7 / Virginia (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 11:39

Hey y'all.
I have been gardening for about 5 months.
Most plants are outside but I have some that will need to come in for the winter. They were originally supposed to go to my friends greenhouse but unfortunately it was destroyed during a recent storm. So I have to resort to growing lights.

What I have for inside is spider, peace lillies, snake, wandering jews, peporomias, etc. I have to bring the succulents in and id like to bring milkweed in as well. Any ideas on what to do with the space im working with?
I do not get much sun in the winter.
The vent above is shut off and covered so that will not a factor.
Please excuse the mess as we just came home from vacation.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: inquiry about growing lights for a first timer

Buy some LED grow lights it would be very nice with your hanging containers too. 10W will be fine for your hanging containers for each. I do not see any mess.

Good luck
Caelian

o

Why milkweed? It's very hardy (the roots), and comes back year after year. I'm not sure it will do well inside. I'm thinking of the genus that monarchs like (Asclepias).

o

Why milkweed? It's very hardy (the roots), and comes back year after year. I'm not sure it will do well inside. I'm thinking of the genus that monarchs like (Asclepias).

o

I went to Home depot and asked if they could show me where the lights were at. They asked what for just in a general convo and i said for plants... They showed me these outrageous prices. and It was regular lights, not for growing.. So. Can you help me with this please.. Is there a particular brand i should get? Can I use regular LED lights on them? How would you set it up with this space?

Oh believe me, its a mess ..... that spot is usually empty but we just made those cages for the butterflies...

I wanted to bring some tropical milkweed in for the Monarchs.. My son loves them and he takes care of them (with adult supervision).His school has an indoor greenhouse type of garden set up thats heated (i dont know all the specifics about it) but i do know they have butterflies in it in the winter and release them in the spring...

o

Would one of these be good for the area?

Here is a link that might be useful: are these good enough

o

Would one of these be good for the area?

Here is a link that might be useful: are these good enough

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here