Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving plants outside

Posted by OSgardener none (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 21, 11 at 11:57

I have several plants that I am planning on moving outdoors. The plants include 1. banana peppers 2. jalapenos 3. tomatoes 4. summer squash 5. cucumber 6. eggplant

I started these plants indoors under 6500k light about three weeks ago. They are taking up quite a bit of room under my lettuce setup, therefore I need to move them outside into my garden. According to the planting zone map, I live in zone 8b. The weather has been hot (90 degrees) and sunny. We have had a few overcast days with 85 degree weather recently. I am unsure how I should go about moving these plants outside. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving plants outside

"Harden them off" by putting them out in shade and then exposing them gradually to more sun each day.

However, three weeks is a little young to move seedlings outside. Can you wait until they have a few pairs of true leaves before transplanting them?

o

There's absolutely no reason they can't be put outside now. Seeds sprout outside all the time. There's no such thing as too young. Just make sure you harden them off gradually and they will be fine.
The reason most people plant larger transplants is to get a head start on production, not because they have to be a certain age or height to do good.

o

If they were germinated inside then they should only get a couple hrs of sun initially. IF they begin to look sick it's too much sun all of a sudden. read up on hardening off.

Good Luck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here