Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
intp74

environment: 24 /7 /365 florecent lighting

intp74
18 years ago

I have never owned a houseplant in my life, although I do quite a bit of outdoor gardening. I have been considering purchasing my first houseplant for my office at work.

I work in a "lock down" facility and my building does not have any windows. The office is lit with standard florecent lighting but the environment is such that the lights are never turned off (office is staffed 24hrs 7dys/ wk 365 days/yr). The temperature never moves out of the 68-72 degree range.

I installed a shelf on my wall and the nearest light is four feet above the top of the shelf and and fourteen inches out. The shelf is about six inches wide and twenty-four inches long... so the plants itself cannot grow to large.

What would be the best option for this situation? Also, If I were to purchase another plant for the floor wheat would you reccomend?

Comments (6)

• lucy
    18 years ago

The problem is that the lights never go out, and plants need a rest just like the rest of us. Would like to give you a better answer, but don't know of one.

• nygardener
    18 years ago

As plant environments go, yours is "low light," because the bulbs are pretty far away from the foliage. Houseplants that have low light requirements, such as pothos, would probably do fine; I grow one that is lit only by a fluorescent bulb a few feet away, and I leave it on 24/7 when I'm away from home. Pothos has a trailing habit and is not fussy about temperature or humidity. There are probably plenty of other choices that grow upright but slowly, if that's what you prefer.

As Lucy says, plants like a period of nighttime rest, but a lot of houseplants are pretty tough, and they're almost always quite inexpensive. You could pick a type you like and replace it every year or two if necessary.

Try the House Plants Forum for some more specific suggestions.

• orchidsnyc
    18 years ago

The "standard" office plants like Pothos, Spathyphyllum, Aglaonema (sp?), Dracaena etc. should do OK under those conditions even if they may not thrive over the long haul. But they'll hang in well enough and may even surprise you by growing well for years. For the floor, rubber plants are, IMHO, pretty boring as indoor plants but they're pretty tough and it's better than looking at office carpeting/bare wall all day... Ficus are nice too, but they tend to shed leaves when you change their environment and in those conditions, they'd be slow to replace them.

• intp74
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you for all of the wonderful suggestions. I think I will research the plants that were suggested to see which I prefer. Would it help if I drape the plant before leaving work and take the covering down when I return? Or is 13 hours of darkness too much?

• orchidsnyc
    18 years ago

Yes, it probably would help if you're willing to go to that much trouble. If it were me, I'd try both ways for a few weeks and see if there's any noticeable difference. For slow-growing, easily replaceable foliage plants, though, I'm not at all sure it'd be worth the effort.

• nygardener
    18 years ago

Another trick is to rotate plants in for a couple of months at a time from a more suitable environment (home, for example). The "quality time" they get growing under good conditions will fortify them for their stints under your office fluorescents. Restaurants and other places with unsuitable lighting often do this. So did a hydroponics/lighting store I visited a few weeks ago, which had tomato plants growing under T5 fluorescents and admitted that they rotated them in from an outdoor greenhouse!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES