Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fluorescent fixtures, ballasts and safe circuit capacity

Posted by ezgrower z5 IL (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 27, 06 at 15:20

A simple (I hope) question arising out of my limited knowledge of ballasts in fluorescent light fixtures . . .

In determining the load that a fluorescent fixture contributes on a circuit, does the ballast figure in? That is, the load from 36 40W bulbs would just meet the safe "constant use" (80%) threshhold on a 15A circuit, but what about the ballasts in the fixtures? If ballasts make a contribution, where is the information to calculate it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fluorescent fixtures, ballasts and safe circuit capacity

• Posted by zink 6a (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 28, 06 at 10:57

ez,

Here is the extra power consumed by the ballasts. These figures are per each bulb:

Magnetic Ballast(40w) = 6.0 watts
Electronic Ballast Rapid Start (32w) = 3.5 watts
Electronic Ballast Instant Start (32w) = 2.5 watts

Zink

o
RE: fluorescent fixtures, ballasts and safe circuit capacity

Also, the amps that the ballast draws is always printed on the ballast case. In the case of the HD Sunpark ballasts, it's 1.0 amp. And that's probably a maximum figure at startup.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here