Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lighting t5 vs metal halide

Posted by csk14 OH (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 1, 13 at 15:29

Which lighting is best for indoor growing. I have been using regular 2700 or 6500 K 30- 60W florescent bulbs and I think my growth isgoing well still a friend told me my greenhouse would be more productive w/ T5 and or HID. I do not understand.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lighting t5 vs metal halide

T12 "regular" fluorescent have very low lumen/watt - Personally I use T8 because lumen/watt is similar to T5, but the lamps last longer and are marginally cheaper, also the T8 ballast can be found used on Ebay for very cheap compared to T5, and you can simply rewire your T12 fixture with a new ballast and not have to buy the whole thing. - or even buy a cheap shoplight T12 fixture and throw the ballast out - also I use metal halide lighting and HPS lighting, and with proper choice these are also good - I have a 575 W pulse start Venture lamp, and a 600W HPS lamp - also very good - paul m.

o

if you have a light meter, you can find it out for yourself, exactly how much illumination you are getting at what distance. I find that metal halide or hps (HID) will grow plants taller than fluorescent. Fluorescent is good for up to 8-12", taller than that and HID is better, at least with me.

o

HPS/HID is the way to go.

Most grow light kits will have a lumen raiting that you can use to compare against the same watt rating of T5 or any other kind of lighting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here