Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Law makes Grow Lights illegal in FL

Posted by backwoodsgirl FL (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 18, 13 at 15:44

Well, I was a little upset when I first heard of the law last night because I thought it oulawed all pipes, but it doesn't.

But as I read the law, I am now very concerned. If any of you are familiar with the youtube video "Growing Your Greens". The guy had police at his house for growlights in the bathroom.

This law that got passed on page 2 reads...

"June 11, 2013
I. SUBSTANTIVE INFORMATION
A.
EFFECT OF CHANGES:
Drug Paraphernalia
Drug paraphernalia is defined in s. 893.145, F.S., as:
All equipment, products, and materials of any kind which are used, intended for use, or
designed for use in the planting, propagating, cultivating, growing, harvesting, manufacturing,
compounding, converting, producing, processing, preparing, testing, analyzing, packaging,
repackaging, storing, containing, concealing, transporting, injecting, ingesting, inhaling, or
otherwise introducing into the human body a controlled substance in violation of ch. 893 or s.
877.111, F.S.
1 The term includes, but is not
limited to:
(1)
Kits used, intended for use, or designed for use in the planting, propagating, cultivating,
growing, or harvesting of any species of plant which is a controlled substance or from which a
controlled substance can be derived.
(2)
Kits used, intended
for use, or designed for use in manufacturing, compounding, converting,
producing, processing, or preparing controlled substances."

So, what are they going to do come to your house and search it to make sure you aren't making or growing drugs???

Just purchasing enough grow light kits could trigger a visit from ATF! Swat Team and everything.

I'm into herbs, further down it even makes gelatin capsules illegal.

I'm really concerned about this. I think this law will be an excuse to persecute those who are trying to grow their own food and get away from those awful GMO's

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Law makes Grow Lights illegal in FL

I predict that within the next 20-30 years you wont be able to grow any edible plants. The pharmacutical companies will team up and home gardening will be banned. Soon after that all fruits and vegetables sold in grocery stores will have to be seedless to stop people from growing them. Even the sale of soil will be against the law.

o

@bedtime, your prediction is scary. Imagine if they outlawed handguns in any state, would the NRA sit idly by? Hell no, they'd be up in arms. Gardeners all over the country know how important indoor lights can be as season extenders, or as simple hobbyist tools for those special plants. Outlawing grow lights is like saying "guilty until proven innocent", which is not what America is all about. Booo Florida, this law is backwards. Gardeners should not stand idly by and let this happen.

o

The problem is this...everybody is talking about the ban on pipes and stuff but they don't even concern themselves with the fact that the law makes it illegal to use or own a grow light.

And a lot of people see the name of the law and just ignore any part of it because they assume it only affects drug addicts and dealers. They have no idea that it makes indoor gardening a felony.

o

@bedtime. I completely agree. Recently in Europe they tried to pass a law that would control the seed industry. Every one who grows anything from seed would have to register first and get an approval from the EU, therefore basically controlling what people could or could not eat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here