Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wolfmama_gw

Sigh..I know nothing...and I have some questions:)

wolfmama
15 years ago

I have an apartment with a spare bedroom. It has one small window. I want to plant a container veggie garden in that room. I don't have a roof top and growing outside is not an option. The garden would be vandalized or the harvest stolen.

Exactly what kind of lighting would I need to produce healthy plants and a good yield? I've read about light and dark periods, but I have no flipping idea what kind of lights I need to use. And everything I've read on the net has about lighting has just confused me. There are a plethora of lights. I would like to get started as soon as I can now that I've made up my mind to go ahead with it.

Does anyone know anything about reflected light from outside? I've read about reflected sunlight being used to grow indoor plants, but is the entire light spectrum present in reflected light and is it enough to grow plants?

Comments (4)

• cannabisgrower
    15 years ago

I doubt a small window is sufficient. What is ur budget, what would you like to grow, and how big of an area would the garden cover. The easiest cheapest thing is fluorescent shoplight fixtures, but you need some handiness to install them. There are some threads here about how to make a plant growing stand based on fluorescents. Sativa.

• wolfmama
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I dunno how much this stuff costs. So I'm not sure how much I need to set aside or save.

The room is approximately 10 x 10. I'd like to fill as much of the room as possible with plants in growing containers. I have a family of four, so I'd like to grow enough veggies to make a difference in the grocery bill. Not to mention the nutritional aspect of fresher veggies.

• watergal
    15 years ago

Unless you're sticking to something like lettuce, you are going to need LOTS of light, which means very large, high wattage fixtures. They are expensive to buy and the electricity cost is high too. It's likely a lot cheaper to buy your food at the store than grow it indoors.

To cover an area of about 4x4 feet or so is going to cost you a couple of hundred dollars initially. And all that light will definitely heat up the room, which may be a problem in Florida.

I don't do veggies indoors, but I've used lots of different types of artificial lights.

If you're still interested, list what kind of veggies you want to grow and maybe someone can help.

• cannabisgrower
    15 years ago

Your idealism is touching, however, you will not be able to farm indoors without a lot of expensive equipment. And you for sure will not be able to feed even one child, let alone four. Think about feeding your family with beans, rice, and wheat. All these things come dried, and with a few inexpensive spices, like salt and pepper, and maybe a can of tomatoes, will be very tasty. Supplement with boiled potatoes, mashed, with added eggs and vegetable oil - at least you will know that your children will not grow up obese, be more healthy as adults, and they will be thankful for what they have. Indoor growing is mainly for herbs, cherry tomotoes, peppers, and if you are able to conceal it properly, cannabis. Also with cannabis, you are able to sell it and pay for some life necessities. However, if you get caught, the judge might confiscate ur children, so it might not be worth it. It just depends on whether you love them or not, and it sounds like you do. Sativa.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022