Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ontheteam

In simple terms.Help me grow stuff under lights

ontheteam
14 years ago

I am looking to get a light system to grow tomato,peppers,cuckes,zuchinni,squash.

I'd like to keep it as inexpensive as possible.

Need to start about 400-800 seedlings for a Charity plant sale next may 2010.

If you had 1000.00 to spend what would you buy or build to do this.

I have a 10 by 20foot room to use to do this in.

Thanks for looking

Comments (16)

• Karen Pease
    14 years ago

How many square feet will your plants take up?

• ontheteam
    Original Author
    14 years ago

um...as much room as it takes to get this done. I currently use a shelf based system thats 4 ABOUT 24 inch wide shelves.
    have looked at all the the lighting sites till I am dizzy

I do not want o be a light expert..just get a rig going thats going to work.

• ontheteam
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thinking for buying these bulbs..
    and this light fixture Bristol county elect supply will sell him the fixture that he can wire 4 or so of them to a board for about 27.00 bucks a fixture.

Opinions. the bulbs from them are 12 a 2 pack,

Here is a link that might be useful: these bulbs

• Karen Pease
    14 years ago

You need to determine how many square feet your grow is going to take up before you start buying bulbs and fixtures. I assume you're growing in plug trays in flats. How many plants per tray?

• ontheteam
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The shelving I have in mind is 5 ft wide 5 feet deep and about 6 feet tall. The last light will have to be hung from the ceiling. ( the shelves are about 3 feet apart plan on sing chains to raise lights. with 3 shelves per unit I can get probably 6 of these shelves.

I do not have an area per say...I'll put them anywhere but the kids bedrooms to get this started lol.. So I guess I need to rephrase my question what kind of lights do i need for this shelf system?

I have about 40 pks of veggies and Herbs to start from seed under lights

I am trying to raise 10,000 dollars for Children hospital Boston.

• ontheteam
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The shelving I have in mind is 5 ft wide 5 feet deep and about 6 feet tall. The last light will have to be hung from the ceiling. ( the shelves are about 3 feet apart plan on sing chains to raise lights. with 3 shelves per unit I can get probably 6 of these shelves.

I do not have an area per say...I'll put them anywhere but the kids bedrooms to get this started lol.. So I guess I need to rephrase my question what kind of lights do i need for this shelf system?

I have about 40 pks of veggies and Herbs to start from seed under lights

I am trying to raise 10,000 dollars for Children hospital Boston.

• Karen Pease
    14 years ago

Okay, there we go -- you finally gave us an area: 5ft by 5ft. :) So you have 25 square feet. I'd say go with around ~400W of HPS/MH, ~450W of fluorescent, or ~200W of LED.

I'm an LED gal myself, but to each their own.

• ontheteam
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry to frustrate you lol... Thanks for sticking with me.

IS that per Shelf..I'm am guessing it is..but...can't be to careful.

• ontheteam
    Original Author
    14 years ago

How about these?

Here is a link that might be useful: shop lights t3

• Karen Pease
    14 years ago

No -- that's halogen. You'd need more like 1 to 1 1/2 kW of halogen, and the heat load would burn your plants.

• ontheteam
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks!

this better?

Here is a link that might be useful: lights on CL

• Karen Pease
    14 years ago

The questions to ask:

* How many watts?
    * Magnetic or electronic ballast?

You'll want electronic. But yes, MH and LPS lights are both well-respected ways to grow plants indoors.

• ontheteam
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have uploaded the pics that the seller sent me of the lights.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of grow lights from seller

• wordwiz
    14 years ago

Are your posts a joke or what???

Raise $10,000 from at most 800 seeds? You did say you will be growing herbs and the only herb I know of that will fetch more than $10 per plant is illegal to grow. Veggies tend to sell for - at most - $5.00 per plant and that's hoping there are enough fools around to pay that price, considering lots of places offer seedlings for a buck each, $2.50 for a large plant in a 3" container.

I raised a bunch of seedlings this winter/spring - at one time I had about 1000 of them growing in a 100 square foot area. Most of the lighting came from 105 watt CFL bulbs. With reflective material like Mylar or white walls, each bulb would provide enough light for a 30" x 30" area, though I needed to rotate the plants.

Mike

• ontheteam
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nope no joke. Did I say I was growing every single thing myself.. No..
    Did I say it was all coming from seed no.. Did I say I was done buying seeds no.
    And No its not Pot.

The money is for Childrens hospital. I was getting 5 bucks for a Tom,in a keg cup,3 for herbs 4 for perennials and 3 for annuals this yr Made 3300.00.
    2 growers on the Tom forum helped me when I starts fell to Damping off.

Here is a link that might be useful: seeds

• Karen Pease
    14 years ago

Oh, and I just noticed I wrote:

"But yes, MH and LPS lights are both well-respected ways to grow plants indoors."

That should read:

"But yes, MH and HPS lights are both well-respected ways to grow plants indoors."

You don't want to be growing plants with LPS ;)