Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eileen_plants

Artificial light or south window?

eileen_plants
16 years ago

Apologies to those who read this post in "Herbs" forum. I have basil, dill, sage, oregano and savory plantlets growing under 80 watts of fluorescent light. When I tranplant from seedling tray to pots, should I keep them permanently under the 80 watts (possibly adding more light) or put them in my south window? (Live in an apartment, so they won't be going into a garden or outdoors) Thanks for any suggestions.

Eileen

Comments (5)

• mkiker
    16 years ago

It depends on what's more convenient to you. The south window should have enough light but why move them. I would hope that 80 watts would be good enough. I have some spearmint doing nicely under only 30 watts, so see what happens.

• eileen_plants
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, mkiker, I posted this in the "Herbs" forum and the general consensus was to put them in sun. But after reading your post, I think I will leave some plantlets under the 80 watts along with some African Violets and see what happens...can always move them if they start to elongate. Thanks for the response.

Eileen

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    16 years ago

30W, 80W, makes no difference. It is the intensity of the light that matters. 30W concentrated onto a 6"x6" area is enough to burn many plants, 80W spread over a three foot square growing area is completely inadequate to grow anything.

In any case, your lights will never match the intensity of direct sunlight. If you have enough sun then you should use it, your herbs will grow better and taste better.

Artificial lights work well for initial seed or cutting raising where you can provide a steady light level for long periods. Also for low light plants like African Violets which you obviously wouldn't want in the noon sun.

• mkiker
    16 years ago

Sunlight is seen as free light and is stronger than most artificial light sources. That's why most people recommend the sun. To me however I don't like sunlight because it isn't free at all when you consider the extra cooling required to combat the infra red pollution. That's why I made the hard line choice that if it doesn't grown under artificial light it gets thrown away.

One thing to consider, which may be why the herbs people said sun, is that some herbs are said to taste better under certain growing conditions. They need to grow steady, but not too fast and they need good light to produce the flavor oils. In theory the lower light might help because it may slow their growth a little making them more flavorful than full sun which would allow rapid growth. I say in theory because I don't know for sure.

• eileen_plants
    Original Author
    16 years ago

mkiker, I'm not planning to use the herbs for culinary purposes, so perhaps I don't need sun?? Shrubs, I didn't know that the area served by the light was a factor when using light to grow (first time with seedlings and lights). I think what I will do is leave a few plantlets in the south window and a few under lights and make adjustments as needed. Thanks again!!

Eileen

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES