Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to Artificial Lighting

Posted by eltoe422 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 26, 09 at 20:55

I live in an apartment with only north facing windows, so I don't get much light at all shining in, so my plants are suffering. I'd like to get a lamp/light for in my living room to shine on my plants, but I have no idea what kind of bulb to get or where to get one. Are there "plant bulbs" for regular lamps?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to Artificial Lighting

Just use several CFLs in the 2700k spectrum range and 6500k spectrum. Use like a 2 to 1 ratio on the spectrum with 2 6500k to 1 2700k.

o

Make sure you buy the nice big CFL lamp, look in a few different stores before buying.

o

The only real keys you need to know are:

1) Avoid incandescents, halogens, and low pressure sodium.
2) Plants need a *LOT* of light.

o

Where can I find a 6500k bulb? I saw 2700k bulbs at Menards. They also had some smaller ones called plant lights. Do I need larger than a regular-sized CFL bulb?

Thanks.

o

Not all plants need alot of light. What kind of plants do you have? I believe 5000k is as close to the spectrum of sunlight as you can get hence the 2x 6500K + 2700K = 5233.33etc that was stated earlier. You could also get a reading type desk lamp that will hold a T8 fluorescent tube that you can find at lowes or home depot in the correct spectrum.

o

I have a couple of ivies, a peace lily, jade, a spider plant, aloe, and a few that I don't know what they are but they didn't do too well last winter with less light.

o

- Where can I find a 6500k bulb?

You may also see 6500k labeled as 'Daylight' ... it should
have a light-blue-ish color when on.

A regular CFL should be fine...just don't go with the
lowest-wattage they sell

Personally if it wasn't in your living room i'd recommend
using a standard 48" shoplight over CFLs

o

eltoe422 your ivies, peace lily and aloe should do fine under lights. I'm not sure about the spider plant but if I remember correctly they don't need much. The jade will do better in full sun but if you don't have it then put it as close to the lights as you can get it.

o

All good advice. I would just add that CFL will do a lot better if they have some kind of reflector behind them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here