Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theystoleitall

Interested in growing, could use some advice

theystoleitall
14 years ago

So I got the sudden urge to start growing herbs. My problem is that I am currently renting a room, and do not really have space to grow outdoors at this time, so I am interested in growing some herbs in my closet. This is kind of an experiment for me as I have never grown plants of any kind. I am interested in starting with seeds of Catnip, Spearmint, and Feverfew. Also considering Thyme.

Basicially, at the moment I have half of my closet I could utilize, little over 4' wide and 22" deep, and 67" tall. I am on a budget, so I was thinking of starting with a 4' T12 40w or 4' T8 32w shop light, not sure which would be better. Would this be sufficient lighting to grow these herbs solely indoors? I do not think I can fit two fixtures due to the closet only being 22" deep forward to back. I am planning on building a shelf about 18" off the floor, leaving me with just over 4' upwards, minus the height of whatever light fixture I get. Is this a worthwhile venture for what I want to do? Any suggestions/advice at all for growing these herbs, and any other you could recommend indoors?

Comment (1)