Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moms_helper_2008

My grow lights and green house projects

moms_helper_2008
15 years ago

The following link contains info and picks on grow lights and a greenhouse I built. As far as the flourescent light tubes, they were bought at Home Depot for I believe I paid $7 for a two pack. Lowes also carries them. These are the same bulbs that folks pay $30 for from gardening catalogs. They are 120V Philips Daylight Deluxe T8 48" 85CRI/6500K 2800 lumens. Each fixture was fitted to hold four bulbs. When the plants popped up, I kept the bulbs four inches above the top of the plants thru out the growing cycle. The lights grew our plants like wild fire. My mom was astonished how well they worked and frankly so was I. The room where the plants were grown has a wood/coal burner so the temp was always at least 80*F. Many of the tomato seeds germinated in four to five days and were four inches high in three weeks. The lights were kept on 24/7 untill the plants were six inches high then the time was cut to 16/7. I hope this info will help others. The raising of plants from seeds using grow lights was an experiment for us that worked very well. I regret not getting pictures taken when we had all the plants under the lights but the results can be seen in the greenhouse.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/616213/

Comment (1)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH