Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lifespan of MH bulbs for plant growth

Posted by tom_termine z5b MA (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 25, 06 at 6:34

Hi all -

I am so glad I found this forum!

I have two grow lights. Ones is running a 600W Sunmaster Cool Deluxe MH Conversion Bulb, the other a 1000W BT37 Sunmaster Blue Burning Metal Halide Lamp. I ran them last fall - winter - spring for tropical and subtrop bonsai and succulents for about 2500 hours overall.

When have they reached the end of their useful lifespan for plants? I was thinking about replacement - but do I need to do that yet?

Thanks very much in advance!

Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lifespan of MH bulbs for plant growth

Tricky choice. There is no set time when they are no longer useful. The light intensity drops steadily throughout the life of the bulb, by up to 40% by the time it finally gives out. You can use it on plants the entire time, but it will still be using the same amount of electricity while it gives out less light. Most people swap out the bulbs at around a third or a half of their rated life, which would be about 5,000 hours, but there is nothing magic about this time. The cost of extra bulbs is more than offset by the savings in electricity by only using the bulbs at their most efficient.

o

Thanks for the reply! I am thinking about picking up replacements for the indoor season, to have them on hand in case...

From your experience, would you recommend different bulbs (brands and color)? I have heard a bit about Philips Ceramic White MH bulbs (Not sure I have that name right) - any opinion on those vs. the Sunmaster bulbs I am using?

Thanks again!

Tom

o

I think your talking about the Philips Ceramic Metal Halide. I use it in 400w and love it. Personally I think it's the best HID light on the market right now. It's available in watts up to 400....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here