Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Recommendation For Lights Inside Greenhouse

Posted by buyorsell888 Portland Oregon (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 6, 06 at 12:50

Hi, I have never grown with lights. I have received a small greenhouse for my birthday. It is 6 x 8 and will be raised up to about 8' tall. I am planning on growing/and or over wintering tropical plants including having a pond. I am thinking more of a conservatory than seed starting or production.

I live in rainy cloudy Portland OR and it is overcast for about 9 months with some sun breaks in Feb and March. April, May and June are usually cloudy and rainy. July-Sept only mostly sunny months. It isn't very cold more most of the year but totally grey for weeks at a time.

I wish to be able to sit in the greenhouse during the rainy months and have living plants and light and warmth. I believe I have SAD but have not been diagnosed. I grew up in Phoenix and I miss the sun sooo much.

My DH will run electricity to the greenhouse and can wire up or install anything. He is very handy. Cost is a factor. I don't have any idea where to begin.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Recommendation For Lights Inside Greenhouse

do aome research on metal halide and high pressure sodium lamps and ballasts.

lots of stores on the net sell complete systems

o

This is a good beginner site for learning about grow lights.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lighting 101

o

• Posted by msblkjck Basement greenhouse (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 31, 06 at 18:22

I own a 6x6 poly GH which is set up in my basement. I am attempting a veggie garden in mine under a 1000w MH/HPS light. If you dont mind a bit of expense....this size would probably work for you too.

o

One thing to keep in mind is that a very bright plant light generates a lot of heat, especially in a small enclosed space. The lights and electricity are quite expensive, and the ballast makes a noticeable hum.

You might do better to grow low-light plants and concentrate on keeping their environment suitably warm (cooler nights are usually best), well-ventilated, and not-too-humid-but-not-too-dry. Start simple. One or two 75-watt full-spectrum light bulbs, of the kind that are sold for SAD, would be enough to make the space feel warm and sunny to you, would be cheap to run, and wouldn't fry the plants.

If the greenhouse isn't fully waterproof, make sure your light fixture and wiring conduits are; this is a good idea anyway. So is a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) outlet, which will shut off automatically in case of an electrical short.

o

Look into the CERAMIC METAL HALIDE by Philips. GE also makes a version.

o

Thank you.

Definately will be a GFI.

I have been told that a Halide is for indoors with no sunlight and a High Pressure Sodium light is for supplementing sunlight. The garden supply store that told me this has them but they are hundreds of dollars. I've found many low cost solutions to other expenses around home and garden online so was checking this forum for light solutions.

I have bougainvilleas, brugmansias, hibiscus, gardenias, philodendrons, tropical waterlilies and other tropical plants so heat isn't going to be a problem.

I guess I'll just have to save my money...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here