Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winter growing in garage?

Posted by virraszto MI (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 1, 09 at 13:44

Would it be possible to grow with lights in my unheated garage during the winter? I have one of those 5 ft x 3ft greenhouse deals. If I put lights on each level, would I be able to grow anything in my unheated garage in Michigan?

I have Seasonal affective Disorder and winters are really tough for me. If I had a hobby that I really liked to do, I think it would help me get through the winter.

If it would be too cold in my garage, I might be able to rig something up inside, but there's less available room inside.

Just wondering.

V.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winter growing in garage?

That depends on how cold your garage will be. 5'x3'... so you're looking at 240W or so of light? On a particularly cold night in late fall /early winter, before you start your plants, try putting out 240W of anything where your plants will be in the evening, then take a temperature measurement under it in the morning. If it stays above 55F, there's not much that will die, and the less cold-sensitive plants (such as lettuce) should thrive. Above 70F and everything should thrive.

If you want to raise temperatures, you could always insulate your "greenhouse deal". Use some of that aluminized bubble wrap or foam and you'll do double duty, giving your plants extra light (from the reflections) as well as trapping in extra heat. Just be careful not to overheat them!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here