Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just got a 1000W MH

Posted by trace00969 zone 2 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 29, 07 at 15:06

So I just went and bought a 1000W MH with the reflector for under $300 canadian. How far should this light be from my plants? Right now I am only using it for a 2'x2' areas, I know I can go bigger, and I plan to. I use it mainly for hoyas and foliage plants.....most of them are quite small, so once they gain some foliage, I will move them into windows. Right now I have the light about 2 feet above the plants. The heat isnt really a problem since I have a 12000 btu air conditioner going in the same room.....My dining room has turned into a grow room.....lol.

I would love to hear any tips on using this light, its pros and cons and anything I should watch for. This is my first HID light so I want to do it right.

Thanks

Tracy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just got a 1000W MH

Wow, overkill! The 1000W light would generally be suitable for covering about 25-50 square feet, more on low light plants.

Two feet from the plants may be OK, but it will depend on your reflector. Watch the plants carefully the first few days and move them further away at the slightest sign of crisping on the leaf tips. Also watch out for wilting, I'm guessing the plants are not really used to intense radiated heat and light, they may take some time to adapt.

o
RE: Just got a 1000W MH

See how they do at 4'. Two feet from a 1000W light could be really quite toasty. It could also bake away the humidity the plants need.

A lot of people use lights without the tempered glass safety shield, but I would use one, especially if the bulb is within reach or might be reached by some of the misting spray.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here