Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wordwiz_gw

New Grow Light Coming

wordwiz
13 years ago

I ordered a 600 Watt MH system from HTG Supply and it should be here Tuesday. I already have six 54 qt. Sterilite Containers that I am filling with nuits. Each one will hold three tomato plants. Plus, ordered an inexpensive thermometer so I can record the Growing Degree Days, as it will be a guide on when to start more plants in the future.

Mike

Comments (6)

• wordwiz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I tried a 125-watt tri-band LED - thumbs down. The 400-watt MH blew it out of the water!

Mike

• urbangardenfarmer
    13 years ago

I like it Mike! I'm fixin to start my indoor growing back up. After this summer, that's about the only growing I want to do! It's been SO hot!The only light I would use to grow tomatoes indoors would be HID and a lot of it! Whether it be Metal Halide or HPS.

• curt_grow
    13 years ago

Well keep us up to date. I am ready to start up a bigger salad/ greens garden this year 20 sq. ft. (all florescent) but may one day go with some fruiting plants and right now I think I would go MH for them.

Curt

• nelson_light
    13 years ago

Hey Mike did you get your 600 watter? Several of the indoor growers claim the new 180X 3 watt LED panel with many different colors works very well. Any input on it at youe end?

• wordwiz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Nelson

How's your grow going?!

Yeah I got the 600 watt MH and I can tell you, it is a monster for toms in an aeroponic system. Very thick foliage but lots of blooms. Not much heat at the plant canopy - some of them are approaching a foot from the light but there hasn't been enough heat to warrant moving it up. I've been using EcoBloom and that may be making a difference but I cannot find a good reason to switch to HPS. Still a ways to go - the largest toms that have set are maybe twice the size of a pea but they seem to be progressing nicely. Getting ready to start another grow - ~ 40 plants under three of those systems. I'm really liking my adaption of aeroponics - the water drains back to the reservoir where it is pumped back to the plants.

But at the same time, my Dwarf Cavendish banana plant is exceeding what anyone said I should expect. It's adding a leaf per week and the internodal length is next to nothing. It's in a DWC hydro system.

Mike

• wordwiz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ordered two more 600 watt MH light systems from htgsupply today. They cut me some slack - $413 for both which includes shipping and two timers. The systems list for $200 each without the timer. Hopefully, they will be here by Tuesday evening, meaning that by Thursday, I will have my 40 tomato plants growing in one huge aeroponics bed.

I'm enthused because once the plants start producing fruit, I'll be able to add one light (~12 plants) per month at first, and in time four or more lights until I get as many plants growing at a time as I can handle.

Mike

Sponsored
Ronald J. Smith Interiors, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Veteran Interior Designer Serving Clients in Upper Marlboro