Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting started growing under lights

Posted by wxman81 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 17:01

I'm doing some bartering which has allowed me to acquire a nice size growing room where I work. The room measures 14 feet wide x 20 feet long and the ceilings are 16 feet high. I also acquired several free 400 watt metal halide warehouse style lights that I will be utilizing. I have 12 at my disposal for 4800 watts of total light or 432,000 lumens. Now I need some help with layout and height..

I was originally going to use 9 lights (3 rows of 3) and mount them at 10 feet from ground to bottom of light. But I'm wondering if I should just use 12 (3 rows of 4) -- too much light isn't a problem right? And what height should I use? I'm going to have some tables in there with smaller plants (3 foot high tables or so) and then larger plants on the ground where the top of the plant could range from 2 feet to 6-7 feet high.

Thanks for the help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting started growing under lights

Some basic info off the web about using metal halide lamps as grow lights; your questions seem to be covered there:

Here is a link that might be useful: Using Metal Halide Indoor Grow Lights

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here