Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Perforated dome for seed starting & seedlings?

Posted by nygardener z6 New York (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 10, 05 at 17:20

I've been having good success by starting seeds in flats under a humidity dome in which I drill small holes every few inches. Fluorescents on a timer are set an inch or so above the dome. The holes seem to allow in enough fresh air to avoid fungus forming even without daily airing-out, while the dome retains enough humidity that daily misting is not required. That lets me leave the whole setup for up to a week at a time if I'm traveling; when I come home, typically I have a tray full of healthy, freshly-sprouted seedlings.

I'm wondering whether there's any drawback to this approach, and especially whether it would work even after sprouting until the seedlings reach the height of the dome or whether that would encourage damping off. I'm hoping others on this forum will have tried something similar, or will have thoughts on the idea.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Perforated dome for seed starting & seedlings?

Bill,

I think that leaving seedlings under the dome for any period of time would invite problems like damping off. I use small domes to stimulate germination and emergence but as soon as the seedlings emerge I pull the domes and turn on a small electric fan. The artificial wind from the fan is beneficial to the seedlings, makes them sturdier, and keeps excess surface moisture from breeding damping off. The air circulation also gives the plants better access to carbon dioxide in the air.

I add a small amount of BT (bacillus thuringiensis) to the water to control fungus gnats. I use a urea-free nutrient formula to avoid a potentially harmful buildup of urea. I use melted snow or rainwater to avoid salts buildup in the growing media (Premier Pro-Mix BT). I overdrive my fluorescent lights for higher light output.

MM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here