Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! newbie with indoor plant need lighting advice

Posted by msugrl2010 none (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 25, 12 at 17:55

Hello all,

I am purchasing an one-year-old orcoblanco tree and soon Fall will be here, and in Southeast Michigan that usually means cool temperatures and little to no sun. I am a college student and don't have a lot of money, and I am not very creative when it comes to making a light hanging fixture XD lol.

Can anyone give me advice on what type of CHEAP lighting I can purchase that will keep my dwarf tree alive and well in the fall AND thru winter?

Thanks for anyone's help! :)
Msugrl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! newbie with indoor plant need lighting advice

Cheap lighting would be shop lights from Home Depot or Lowe's. 48". They're easy to hang. As for keeping a dwarf tree alive, that's debatable. Do you mean Oroblanco? If so, it will need full sun and a lot of heat in order to thrive. And you'll never get fruit unless you can give it several months of direct sun and heat every year. They are delicious, and I wished you lived in an area where they grow. I live in a climate where citrus thrives, and have never seen them grown indoors under lights, and wish you good luck. Did you buy it locally, or mail order?

o
RE: Help! newbie with indoor plant need lighting advice

Thanks for the response!

I actually got the lighting figured out for my tree. It's actually not too difficult to grow dwarf citrus in pots, come on over to the citrus forum and see the pictures ;).

I got my tree from four winds nusery, they specialize in selling dwarf citrus trees. I just got a dwarf grapefruit tree, it's wonderful looking.

here's the site. www.fourwindsgrowers.com/

msugrl

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here