Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lighting for Lemon Tree

Posted by jessiac_3 5 WI (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 27, 06 at 18:16

Hello,

I have a Eureka lemon tree in my north/east facing apartment. I currently have it in a small greenhouse with two compact fluorescents giving it some more light (the only natural light it gets is morning sun). It has been doing fairly well, and was even happy enough to put out a lemon, the only problem is that since they are the compact fluorescents, I have to keep them relatively close to the tree's leaves, and it is now starting to grow on just one side.

So, my question is this: is there another (cheaper) lighting alternative, or should I shell out the $300-$600 for a "grow light" from my local garden store? Any help will be great!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lighting for Lemon Tree

Are the lights positioned directly above the tree?

I have a large indoor tree that grows toward a window. I just rotate the tree every now and then to give the tree a more even look.

Are there signs that the tree is getting too little light?

o

I have been moving the lights to follow the growth on the tree. I don't want to move them to the center, above the tree, since then the leaves won't get enough light. The leaves have gotten bigger, which they do when they are in low light levels, but other than that the tree is healthy, and happy enough to put out a lemon.

o

How powerful are the compact fluorescents?

o

They are just two "plant" or "sunlight" bulbs that I bought at Walmart. They fit into regular desk lamps (60 watt, I believe).

o

Lights of America makes a 65 watt CFL bulb that is normally used for an outdoor security light. You can modify it to be used as an indoor plant grow light. I use a couple of these above some of the plants I grow indoors.

o

They are just two "plant" or "sunlight" bulbs that I bought at Walmart. They fit into regular desk lamps (60 watt, I believe).

I suspect they are "60W equivalent", so probably 13W fluorescents. If that really is what they are then you can do a lot better before moving to a $500 grow light. The box stores have move powerful CFLs like bid2win mentions. They are very easy to find up to about 42W and they will just go into an ordinary lamp so long as it doesn't have a cramped fitting or shade. Then they are mostly sold as outdoor lighting, I've seen up to 105W as a security light. Two of those would be enough for any single plant indoors. Watch out you don't fry it!

If they actually are two 60W fluorescents then the next move upwards is quire a big step since you already have 120W putting out maybe 8000 lumens. You can get really powerful compact fluorescents, up to 250W, but they are by no means something you can just plug into a lamp socket. You can get an array of fluorescent tubes, maybe 3 or 4 2x40W shoplights, or 4x54W T5. Beyond that, HID lamps are the best way to get 400W-1000W of light from a simple package.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here