Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bgaviator

cheap grow lights....

bgaviator
13 years ago

I kind of posted something similar in the Tomatoes forum as I am interested in trying to grow tomatoes indoors this winter in Ohio.....The only place I can put them is in our bathroom, which has no windows for natural light.

From the replies I got in the other forum, it appears there is no way I can do this cheaply.....and when I say cheaply, I'm trying to stay under $50 for a lighting solution. Is there anything available, or anything I can build, that will help me stay within budget and still be a good light for indoor plants? I also have to be mindful of the electric bill as well! Thanks!

Comments (16)

• wordwiz
    13 years ago

Simple answer - probably not, unless you want to grow dwarf plants. Staying close to your $50 budget, you could buy a couple of 105-watt or maybe six 42-watt CFL bulbs. Probably not enough to grow larger size plants but some types like Siletz or Legend, bred for the PNW where there is not a lot of sun, might do decent.

For about $90 (shipping included), you can get 150 watt HPS systems - enough to grow 2 plants dependent on your methods. I'm not a fan of HPS, I prefer Metal Halide. HPS has always caused my plants to grow tall, not bushy.

If you can collect cans, scrimp pennies, mow neighbors' yards and accumulate loose change (been there, doing that!) and come up with about $135, you can get a 250 watt MH system. Enough for about four plants.

Sorry, there is no cheap way to grow tomatoes in winter - if there was we wouldn't have to pay $4/lb. to buy cardboard.

Mike

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Spam! What is that, a Caladium? Under a 300w light? LOL!

You could get 5 sets of dual shop light fixtures for $50 not including bulbs, but they might be too awkward in a bathroom unless it's HUGE.

• oregonwoodsmoke
    13 years ago

A shop light with florescent bulbs rated "cool daylight" will work just fine for a couple of tomato plants. About $12 for the shop light and $8 for a package of 2 four ft long bulbs.

Put some eye hooks in the ceiling and hang the shop light on some light weight chains. Keep the light right at the top of the plants and raise it up as the plants grow.

You aren't doing a fancy grow operation, you don't need to spend for a fancy set-up.

By the way, that must be a huge bathroom if you are going to fit 2 tomato plants in it and still have room to get in there with them. Tomatoes are big plants.

• taz6122
    13 years ago

A shop light with florescent bulbs rated "cool daylight" will work just fine for a couple of tomato plants. About $12 for the shop light and $8 for a package of 2 four ft long bulbs.

It will take at least 4 T8 or T12 shoplights to support tomatoes through the fruiting stage. You might get 1-2 fruit with 2 lights. I can buy them for less than $9 ea. at lowes or HD and a case of bulbs for $25

Tomatoes are big plants.

Precisely why it would take more than 1 twin fixture.

• wordwiz
    13 years ago

taz,

There you go again - posting reality! Most people are not interested in this, they want to grow four plants under a shop light and don't want some "know it all" telling them it will not work. They have Googled and found the magnificent grow light that will and then you show up and post facts. Will you ever learn?

Mike

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Oh the humanity! Actually I could grow one plant under one twin set but...my lights are using close to 140w rather than 80w and I would have to put up some mylar to reflect that light to the lower leaves.
    Yes I am brutally honest to a fault.

John

• organic_oddity
    13 years ago

Wow - late to the game and hope I'm in time. I bought a 400 Watt MH light from some guy off Craigslist for $40. Only been used for a few months apparently. Great shape and grew fantastic lettuce over the winter (trying lettuce, tomatoes, and peppers this year). Check around CL and you may find what you need cheaper than trying to rig something up with a bunch of CFLs.

Now if you talking about operating costs, we have a different story. YMMV on that one.

• coastal-tony
    13 years ago

You guys seem knowledgable on this subject, heres my seed starting set-up. What CFL type lamp should I use in this situation?

Here is a link that might be useful:

• taz6122
    13 years ago

IMO if you are just looking for the first set of healthy leaves before transplant then you could use a 23-27w. If you want several sets of leaves I would use no less than 60w. Mike is a better authority on CFLs than I.

• wordwiz
    13 years ago

I used two 25 watt, 5000K CFL bulbs to cover a 10x20" area for some seedlings. Worked a treat.

Mike

• curt_grow
    13 years ago

Mike; a 23 and a 27 for me in a double lamp fixture cool whites about 18 inches by 18 inches and about 4 inches from the top of plants. 70 degree f. room temperature to keep them short. This set up will take most plants up to 4-6 leaves and transplant time.

Curt

• scythedante
    13 years ago

CFL shop lights. I'm planning on buying one for a long plant container full of herbs. Can anyone tell me why these aren't recommended, scientifically?

Commercial links are NOT welcome but I would greatly welcome any reference material on the web from reputable sources!

Thanks!

• wordwiz
    13 years ago

I'm not really familiar with CFL shop lights, but do know CFL and regular shop lights well. AS long as the plants are getting ~3,000 lumens (~33,000 lux) they will do okay, unless they grow tall - then the bottom of the plant gets next to no lighting.

Mike

P.S. I like commercial links, especially when they are not owned by the poster. I post links to them all the time. I would rather a respected poster lists a good product and place to buy it than having to rely on Google.

YMMV

• taz6122
    13 years ago

ommercial links are NOT welcome

Says WHO?

I've never heard of CFL shoplights.

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Something like this would probably work for you are there's no reason I would NOT recommend it unless the slight hum from the magnetic ballast would bother you. Get 5000K bulbs for it.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=245536-58659-NXU-6000&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3168047&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=sim&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

Below is a more expensive model with electronic ballast and slightly more energy efficient.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shoplight

• maralyn45
    13 years ago

CFL lights..i have never heard of it...