Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
T5 HO light placement

Posted by rice_is_nice 9b (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 14, 09 at 8:56

I am trying to decide if a T5 HO lighting scheme would work for a new greenhouse facility being built. In the past we have used a combo of MH and HPS but the energy efficiency and reduced bulb replacement cost of the T5 HO make it tempting. So, my question is:
What is the maximum distance an 8 lamp Tek T5 HO with mixed 3000 K and 6500 K lamps can be placed from the plants and still obtain a LUX of 22000?
Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: T5 HO light placement

I have been trying to find this kind of info. for over a year now and even the manufacturer can't seem to come up with this info so for my own personal satisfaction I'm going to buy a meter for this purpose. This is the cheapest I could find with the correct type of measurement and not a bad investment(If it works correctly)if you want to keep your lighting at it's maximum output.

http://www.transcat.com/Catalog/productdetail.aspx?itemnum=401025

o

I have a TEK T5HO 4 lamp. Also have a meter to measure light but can only give you foot candles. With 2 lamps on and about 12 inches away from bulbs it's 700fc. Turn on additional two lights (total 4) and the output doubles to 1400fc. So I assume you get about 700fc for every two bulbs you add. Hope this helps.

o

It looks like you are going to get 5,000 lumens per bulb which translates into 5,000 lux if placed a foot away. Eight bulbs would give you 40,000 lux at that distance, if you move it two feet away you would have ~20,000 lux.

Mike

o

According to this site(below) 700fc converts to 7534.7 lux so you would be getting 3767 lux per bulb at 12". Eight bulbs would give you 30,138 lux at 12".

Here is a link that might be useful: Foot-Candles to Lux

o
In short.

16 inches will give you 22,604 lux or lumens going by 2800fc at 12". T5 HO specs are saying 5000 lux initially. I don't know if that means 12" or 2"

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here