Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
liz_h_gw

Will this be enough light for indoor herbs?

liz_h
15 years ago

I would like to grow various culinary herbs inside. I have south-facing windows that are protected by 2Â deep eaves in summer. The change in the angle of light is noticeable with the seasons. The windows are low E glass, which I think only affects the infrared spectrum, minimizing the heat gain/loss. The windows are at least 30Â from any trees, so the light is constant throughout the day.

The current light setup is 2 24" T12 bulbs in 33" window, 2 36" T12 bulbs in 46" window. These are centered in the windows. The window sills are 9.5"deep. Right now only one set of lights is installed (on chains) in each window, but weÂve purchased materials for 2 more lightsets and shelves in each window. (The 3Â items were on clearance and canÂt be returned.) The fixtures are white, with no reflective elements.

This is very similar to the set-up I used at my last home for starting tomatoes. Do you think this will be enough light? Are there some relatively easy things I could do to improve the set-up?

Right now IÂm only planning for herbs, but would also love to grow a few other things like lettuce and salad greens at some point.

Comments (2)