Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with t5HOs for pineapple and cacti

Posted by sawh1343 Utah (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 14:02

So I have an already existing garden of cacti, succulents, a pineapple plant and some other common foliage house plants that previously received lots of natural light. I have moved into a home with absolutely no natural light D: fortunately for me I am also a coral propagating extraordinaire so for those who have dabbled in that world know I have more than enough lights laying around. I have never grown a normal plant under t5HOs before but I know that corals absorb the same spectrums of light having the same chlorophyll pigments so I assume my coral lights will suffice seeing as though they are top of the line in the coral world. (As far as t5HOs go many people argue LED but I love my t5 it has proven so well) right now I have had them under only a 54 watt ATI aqua blue (white/day color temp of 15,000k) and a 54 watt ATI blue plus (really deep crips blue basically all 400-500nm it's intense blue) for maybe an hour at a time and then leaving them under normal house bulbs just acclimate to the new light. I was thinking that I'd bump it to an hour and a half in a few days and 2 hours a few days after etc until it is up to 8 hours. Once at 8 hours I wanted to add another blue plus and then a purple plus (more reds and purples with a little yellow and green) with the same acclimation cycle. I also have the option of adding another two bulbs possible more blue and another purple? ? What are your thoughts on this? Should i do anything different or will this work for me? Do you think cacti and the pineapple need different requirements for light?

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here