Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
banana plant lighting

Posted by kevinlc1 11235 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 3, 08 at 14:30

I have a new banana plant. I live in NYC and lighting in the winter is not so great, I'm not sure if an incandescent or florescent grow light is best or what wattage is sufficent. Also I just repotted the banana plant in a 9" pot without a draining hole only to learn they prefer draining, but I put a little over an inch of rock bedding in the Pot. Will this be OK?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: banana plant lighting

first of all, you will have to repot to a container that has drainage holes in it for the long term health of the plant. even though bananas love water too much water in winter will rot the corm. Water sparingly during wintertime. second, I am assuming you just want the plant to survive the winter. It will probably survive with a couple of 75W or 100W flood lights pointed down on the tree. good luck.

o

Thanks for the advice. I'll definately make the change. Are you familiar with the Mass Cane plant and it's likes.

o

Mass cane also likes good drainage and to get fairly dry on top before being watered again. Can handle bright light to fairly low light. One of my favorite indoor plants, actually, especially where something tall and not too wide is needed.

How tall is your banana, and does it summer outdoors or is it indoors all year?

o

Hi, you need about 2500 lumens per square foot as a general rule to keep a plants happy. Incandescent light is poor for growing, you need some other kind of light: look in Amazon for an HPS security light, they're cheap. Otherwise use a shoplight or two, depending on how big is the plant. Sativa.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here