Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
okay everyone please respond...

Posted by magickcrafter (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 24, 08 at 16:50

Hello.. I have a unique question/problem.. I live in an apartment but my buddy has land to plant... I have a small space and want to hook up a couple lights in an old entertainment center to start plants from seeds.. tomatoes, veg, moonflowers etc for spring planting... I have a cheap grow lightstick from lights of america that i got from Wallmart for 10 bucks that works well under the kitchen cabinet... would it work if i put a reg florecent lightstick and a grow lightstick in the ceiling of the entertainement center... any ideas on cheap lights to grow some indoor plants... please advise... thsnks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: okay everyone please respond...

For starting plants, flourescent light work fine, but there is no way that it's going to do you any good from the ceiling! You're going to have to get the seadlings about 2" from the tube or else, they'll be way too laggy and will sunburn to a nice pale bleached white once you transplant them outside.

What the length and wattage of this lightstick that you're using? Will the plants be getting any natural light from any windows? If not, you'll want to aim for about 20 watts per square foot of coverage. Of course, more is better too!

o
RE: okay everyone please respond...

okay... so any strong florescent will do... I am using light sticks because you can mount them in the small space at the top of an entertainment center.... I heard i could also put mirrors in there an i'll have to have the plant on boxes or shelves./...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here