Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sunlight vs 24 hour fluorescent

Posted by reagle916 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 18:51

So I've read lots of posts that sunlight is best for growing but you can buy and use grow lights too as another option.

So I'm trying to grow a snake plant larger so I can put it in my office to add some life. I recently bought it and it was pretty small (only two shoots and maybe 8" tall). Right now my only goal is to try to get it to grow bigger.

Right now I have it pretty close to a south facing window in my house. My office has no natural light but my company is a three shift operation so the lights are on 24 hours a day, 5-6 days a week. I could also move the plant to my office right now, where it would sit almost right under a fixture of fluorescent lights. The fixture has 3 T8 bulbs, 4100K, 28W each, about 48" above where I would put the plant.

Question: Sunlight is supposedly the best but if I have access to free fluorescent light that's already on almost all the time, which one is likely to be the best for faster growth?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sunlight vs 24 hour fluorescent

I am an amateur when it comes to lights, but, when I have looked into fluorescent lighting for succulents and cacti, everyone suggests the fluorescents to be 6-10" above the top of the plants... so, I don't think it would be very effective. My snake plants grow in a low light corner of my room just fine, no direct. They grow pretty slow however.

I think you should keep it in the window, and maybe provide some supplemental light for the day. Then move it into the office.

Remember, every plant needs rest from light.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here