Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
henrikn

Supplemental lighting for houseplants

henrikn
11 years ago

Hello,

Since our winters are long and dark here in Sweden, I am thinking that my house plants could use some supplemental lighting. My idea is to hang some fluorescent tubes by the windows, to provide extra light in combination with the little sunlight we do get.

Questions:

- Is one 54W T5HO per window going to help at all, or is it too little to bother? Note that it's only for supplemental light, not the sole source of light. The plants have survived through previous winters.

- If I get one tube per window, which spectrum of light should I concentrate on? Warmer, colder? I'm somewhat confused when it comes to the wavelengths here. Many sources say blue is for vegetative growth, and red for flowering, although my plants aren't much of the flowering kind, but I still suppose both bands should be covered.

- If I get two tubes per window (this might be a bit unwieldy though, unless I can find a compact fixture, which is proving to be somewhat difficult), should I go for one warmer and one colder colored tube?

/ Henrik

Comment (1)