Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Supplemental lighting for houseplants

Posted by henrikn z4a-4b (Sweden) (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 25, 12 at 23:35

Hello,

Since our winters are long and dark here in Sweden, I am thinking that my house plants could use some supplemental lighting. My idea is to hang some fluorescent tubes by the windows, to provide extra light in combination with the little sunlight we do get.

Questions:

- Is one 54W T5HO per window going to help at all, or is it too little to bother? Note that it's only for supplemental light, not the sole source of light. The plants have survived through previous winters.

- If I get one tube per window, which spectrum of light should I concentrate on? Warmer, colder? I'm somewhat confused when it comes to the wavelengths here. Many sources say blue is for vegetative growth, and red for flowering, although my plants aren't much of the flowering kind, but I still suppose both bands should be covered.

- If I get two tubes per window (this might be a bit unwieldy though, unless I can find a compact fixture, which is proving to be somewhat difficult), should I go for one warmer and one colder colored tube?

/ Henrik

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Supplemental lighting for houseplants

I tryed setting up one light in the corner of the room and it really is odd on the eyes and is not the best. You may find it not such a good idea to put a light in every window, they are more trouble then it is really worth.

Just trying to help you before you go out and buy lights. Now if you have a spare room then go ahead and fill it with lights and plants because the lights wont be hurting your eyes like they would if in the house.

I just grow low light house plants :) Peace lily keeps me busy They grow so fast even 5 feet away from the window! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here