Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
growing romaine lettuce indoors

Posted by fenderman Pacific NW (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 7, 05 at 1:34

I have a 250 watt metal halide bulb over an area of 2' x 3'. I've got romaine lettuce started in this grow area, but want to get some feedback. It works out to 42 watts per square foot, is that too much for lettuce? Not enough? Just right? Also, I've heard different things about the hours of daylight/ darkness that is ideal for lettuce, any advice? Anybody with experience growing romaine indoors (or any onther kinds of lettuce), their feedback would be much appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: growing romaine lettuce indoors

You should be fine.

Make sure the light is far enough away from the plants so they don't burn, lettuce doesn't like heat at all.

Lettuce is a shade tolerant veggy and the footcandles of light your 250 provides when 2-3 feet above the plants is about the equivalent of the outdoors on an overcast spring/fall day which is when lettuce does it's best. When you consider that many grow lettuce in window covered cold frames during the low sun intensity period of winter it becomes clear that lettuce will do just fine indoors, under lights.

Heck, nearly every hydroponic grower starts with lettuce because it is about the easiest plant to grow this way under lights.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here