Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilyplanter1

Need cheap light setup for yr round indoor growing, cfl vs tubes?

lilyplanter1
15 years ago

Hi all, I'm trying to get started with growing veggies/fruits indoors year-round (starting with cherry tomatoes and strawberries, want to grow watermelon) and need some help figuring out my light setup. I don't have much space, just a 2x3.5ft area underneath a desk. I've read a lot of the postings and I still can't decide if CFLs or tubes would be better for me.

I don't really have the space to fit in a whole hanging tube fixture so I'd probably just have to get some strip lights and use string or something to secure them below the desk. If I go this route, would two 20W F12 tubes be enough? I have 7 small cherry tomato plants (a couple inches tall) at the moment and a small strawberry plant (a few months old). I'm trying to minimize costs and I think while bulbs may be cheap, the cost of fixtures can add up real quickly.

My other idea is to just get some 20W "Daylight" CFLs with clamp on light fixtures and just position them around the plants. Would 4 or 5 of these be enough? That'd be about 5000-6000 lumens, but I'm not sure how much of that I could actually reflect onto the plants.

I do have a west facing balcony that gets direct light only after 3pm, but I don't think this is enough light. Also, my other cherry tomato plants died of powdery mildew on my balcony and I'm reluctant to put the new ones out there. If I go the CFL route, I may consider putting them on the balcony so the plants get both CFL light and some sunlight.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (3)