Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how often do you switch your MH bulbs??

Posted by beaniebeagle (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 15, 06 at 9:53

have a 400watt agro-sun gold MH bulb

how often does everyone change this bulb for a new one

i know they can last about 20,000 hrs, but when does the effective light drop a considerable amount??????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how often do you switch your MH bulbs??

Never. I use fluorescents :)

Metal halides in general suffer more loss of light than fluorescents (especially triphosphor fluorescents) or HPS. I haven't seen a lumen maintenance curve for the Agro Sun but expect a minimum of 25% light loss by the end of life. "Standard" metal halides lose 40% of their light by the end of life. The light loss occurs mainly in the first 5,000-10,000 hours. The decision on when to swap out is entirely your's. If you plan your light levels to take account of the lumen depreciation then you can run it for its full life. Historically, metal halides were always replaced after a set number of hours because the actual failure tending to be messy and dangerous, although modern bulbs are designed to fail more safely.

o
RE: how often do you switch your MH bulbs??

I generally replace mine after a year of (12- to 16-hour-per-day) use. That's about 5-6,000 hours.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here