Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

If anyone is knowledgable about lighting, please HELP me.

meyermike_1micha
14 years ago

ThankGOD this thread exists!! I had no idea till now..:-)

With the advice of many on the container citrus forum, I have decided to cut down on heat, and let my citrus grow in much cooler conditions..

I was wondering if anyone could guide me in this regards. I am in a delema...

Living in New England, our days are rather very short by October till March, especially in December. We get only 7 hours of daylight by then, let alone sun..:-(

My plants will be in 2 south facing windows,30inches wide, 60 inches tall, and under a possible skylight by then. The room will be held in the 60's -70's by day, and high 50's to 60's by night. MUCH lower than what I am use to growing in. I am keeping it humid in that room, and plan on keeping the heat off as long as I can stand it. I have been told if I give them alot of light in these cool conditions, I will get alot of leaf loss due to the pots and roots system being to cool to work with to much light. Therefor dehdrated leafs and loss of plants. I know that they get alot of sun in the south, but the soil temps there are stable for them to keep working, the roots..

They will get about 3-4 hours of direct sunlight, the rest being just light since the days are much shorter.Some days even less when it is cloudy out..:-(

Will I still need supplemental light at these temps, or should I leave them off?

If I do, how long should they be on?

How much light would you provide under these conditions?

Please help and I will then be relaxed about bringing them in in less than a month...As I said in previous posts, these temps I have never attempted, but maybe someone else with expereince will bail me out..

I am use to providing 3 hours of supplemental light by 7am-10am, then sun, then light by 3-7pm, in very warm tropical conditions in my plant room in previous winters.

Thankyou much,

Mike..:-)

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator