Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to start? New to Growing under Lights

Posted by vinny_75 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 8, 08 at 15:18

Folks

I just created a massive 20x50 Sq feet area in front of my house, just so I can go hig wild on planting veriety of flowers. Instead of getting grown plants for instant gratification, I have decided to go with the economical approach. Have set up a 48" T8 CoolLight fixture in the basement where I average about 62degrees during peak winter. The whole set up is right next to my furnace. My hope is that it will provide some warmth during cold days.

QUestion is, I havent a clue on when to start my seeds. Here is a list of what I have

Flowers:
Hibiscus
Lychnis Lumina Mix
Salvia Blue Queen
Marigold Park's Whopper
Marigold Janie Mix
Celosia Fresh Look Yel
Rudbeckia
Foxglove Camelot Cream
Coneflower Magnus
Blazing Stars Florista
Blazing Stars Florista

Vegetables:
Tomatoes
EggPLants
Green Pepper
Okra
Bell Pepper

Could someone tell me when I can start them? I live in Connecticut, Zone 6. Would like to plan accordingly.

Thanks
V

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to start? New to Growing under Lights

I can answer your questions about the start date for vegetables.

Your start date is dependant on the last date of frost for your zone. In Connecticut, the last frost date is April 25.

TOMATOES - Seeds should be started six to eight weeks before your last frost date.

EGGPLANT - Seeds should be started six to eight weeks before your last frost date.

GREEN PEPPERS - Seeds should be started eight weeks before your last frost date.

OKRA - Seeds should be directly sown into the ground at beginning two to three weeks after your last frost date. (They don't transplant well.)

BELL PEPPERS - Seeds should be started at least eight weeks before your last frost date.

I hope that helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here