Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Growing seedlings with lights - Equipment?

I plan to grow vegetables from seed for next year's garden. I'd like to set something up in a small extension off my LR. I have a long blank wall where I can put up a shelve unit. I'd like to use something that is quality material and good looking because it is going to be in our living space. I wondered if anyone can recommend a shelf unit?

I also just bought a strange lightbulb from Amazon. [g] It was for another purpose but I am now wondering if I can use it to grow under.

It is full spectrum 85W that some people online said they've used successfully for growing plants. But I wonder if it was for houseplants and not seedlings. I would like to use it for growing seedlings and maybe have two of them, but I don't know if they are enough light or what kind of fixture to use them in. Here is a link to the light bulb and would love to know if anyone has used similar for growing seedlings...

Here is a link that might be useful: Full Spectrum Light Bulb - ALZO 85 watt CFL

Comments (3)

• sabrinab_
    9 years ago

What size shelf are you looking to set up? An Emily Garden system might be good, it's 6'H x 16'W x 24'L. As far as the light goes, I wouldn't use the cam light you bought from Amazon. You can grow very small plants with Compact Fluorescent but your yield will be little to nothing. Seedlings will do well under a 24w, 2000 lumen, T-5 bulb. I have provided a link with some good options.

Here is a link that might be useful: Groflo Hydroponics Fluorescent Lighting

• emerogork
    9 years ago

I had very good luck using cheap CFLs and fluorescent lamps.
    They are north-eastern windows so they don;t get much help from the sun.

Soil temperature is far more important to get them started.

• mary
    9 years ago

I have a "vestibule," bathroom stall sized room that is between my living room and the outdoors. I want to make it a mini plant room. So, the exterior door leading to my yard is glass and aluminum, natural light coming in and has a dog flap at the base. (Air sneaking in and out...) . The wall to the left has a long window, good light from the south. The wall on the right is just solid; I could paint it reflective or a light color (or would be be good actually to have a black blanket/ cover to soak up heat? The door between the living room and vestibule is also full length glass! Very nice. But it will get cold in there this winter. Because it will get cold and there will be snow right outside, I want to use a sodium bulb which will kick out heat, as part of the system. There is presently one lightbulb fixture on the ceiling so I will use that for power, and if necessary run in a cord from the living room for more.

If I want to have two shelves of plants, one on the right and one on the left.... with some seedings being sprouted and some large plants, like my myer lemons... what would be "enough?" Once sodium / MH light with reflector on ceiling or wall, and also some florescent? It will be a green, glowing room as I visualize it...

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH