Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carols_gardener

Timers and fluorescent lights

carols_gardener
13 years ago

Hi, folks,

I am new to this forum, and would appreciate your input. I am still in the "learning what works" stage of setting up lighing for African violets. I don't have the room in my condo for the traditional 4-ft shop lights, so I am using 2-ft under-cabinet fluorescent lights and some clamp lights with CFLs for lighting small shelves in 3 different areas. This is all giving me quite a few cords to plug in. Practically everything fluorescent says not to use it with electric timers. But for growing the AVs, I really need to use timers, and I haven't seen any of the basic mechanical kind with lots of slots for connecting multiple cords.

I have here an electrical timer called the GE Power Saving Strip Timer, which has 8 slots (4 timed and 4 not), which doesn't say anything about not using it with fluorescents. It does say not to control heating elements with it. I did contact the manufacturer, and their one-line reply was that it could be used with fluorescent lights. I really hope that person was speaking from certain knowledge. Anyone here have any experience with this or anything similar? Any other ideas gratefully accepted, also. I'm not wanting to start any fires!

I also have some questions on best wattage, etc. for the CFLs, but I imagine I should start a differently named thread for that.

Thanks for any help!

Carol

Comments (11)

• wordwiz
    13 years ago

Carol,

I have one of those cheap $10 (or less) plug-in timers. I have ran everything from 13-watt CFLs to 600-watt MH lights (on the same power strip) without a problem.

Mike

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Are you sure it says timers and not dimers?

• wordwiz
    13 years ago

taz,

That would be dimmer!

Mike

• carols_gardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi, Mike,

Do I understand you properly? "Cheap timer" meaning one of the mechanical ones with the round dials to set the times? Non-electronic (digital)? So how would you connect many power cords to a one or two-slot cheap timer? Are you saying you can connect many lights to a multi-slot power strip, and connect the plug from the power strip to the one slot of the timer, and then plug the timer into the wall?

The GE Electronic timer I mentioned (8 slots) is about $20.

And yes, Taz, timers, not dimmers.
    There are CFLs that say they are dimmable but still not to put them with electronic timers.

Carol

• wordwiz
    13 years ago

Carol,

>> Do I understand you properly? "Cheap timer" meaning one of the mechanical ones with the round dials to set the times? Are you saying you can connect many lights to a multi-slot power strip, and connect the plug from the power strip to the one slot of the timer, and then plug the timer into the wall? Exactly!

I think the concern with electronic timers is a possible power surge when turning on. The power strip eliminates that. In fact, all my lights run off the power strips.

Mike

• carols_gardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi, Mike,

Thanks for your fast reply! I was told that the problem with electronic timers is that they "overdrive the ballast of the fluorescents". I'm not into electricity, so when I asked, the person said that meant overheating the base. So you've been using power strips plugged into your mechanical timers for some time now with no problems, right? I thought I had remembered someone a long time ago saying there was a problem with that, but they might not have know what they were talking about. If you've been doing that for a long time, and using all kinds of light (including the very high wattage metal halides), then it sounds like that does work fine.

Thanks!

Carol

• wordwiz
    13 years ago

Carol,

I don't know your definition of a long time but I have been for four years. The bulbs have been 13 watt CFL, 23 watt CFL, two 20 watt fluros (a reading light I had and used the first year for a few plants), shop lights (three different two-tube, 40 watt each bulbs), 75 watt HPS, 105 watt CFLs, 14, 54 and 125 watt LEDs, 400 and 600 watt MH, 400 watt HPS. I can't seem to get much above 1800 watts total draw per power strip without them blowing, at least after a few years of use. But I have never had a problem and with the exception of a couple of 105 watt CFL bulbs that burnt out way too early (and were replaced free of charge!) no problems.

Mike

• carols_gardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi, Mike,

Wow - that many lights, for 4 years, -- I'll consider that concept tested! Thanks again. Now if I can just figure out what wattage to use on the CFLs for the clamp lights... I've had some success with using two 17-watt undercabinet lights, but those are harder to suspend over the top shelf of freestanding shelves, and there is more wattage/lumens available in the clamp lights and CFLs.

Carol

• wordwiz
    13 years ago

Carol,

I'll probably cause a brain overload with this info, at least it was for me when I first started learning it, but it is science and not opinion. Read one as I try to summarize it:

The production of any growing plant depends on several factors - Daily Light Integral, Growing Degree Days, Nutrient and water delivery to the plants.

DLI is a measurement of light in the spectrum plants can use they receive over a 24 hour period. Veggies such as tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers need 20+ mols per day. GDD is a measurement of total heat, usually over 50 degrees, plants get a day. The basic measurement is the high temp + the low temp divided by two, then subtract 50 or 52. Tomatoes start setting blooms at 1300 GDD, usually have ripe fruit by 2400 GDD.

Is your brain spinning yet? Mine is!

Mike

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Typ-o or brain fart! Nobody's perfect lol. I've been using a cheap mechanical timer on my 12 4' T12s for over 2 years and almost a year with 6 of those being overdriven x2. I've been using another brand of mechanical timer with the strip built right in on 3 aquariums that I've rigged 12 14w T5s over plus air pumps for over 4 years. Filters and heaters always powered of course.

• jane__ny
    13 years ago

I used a 8 plug strip which I plugged into the old timers which I plugged in the wall. The strip held 8 plugs. The timers turned them on and off. I've used that for many years without any problems.

Now I use octopus, floor lamps with CFL's and plug those into the strips which are plugged into the timers. I grow orchids under those. Never had a problem or lost a bulb.

Jane