Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barb_roselover_in

So, what do you use?

barb_roselover_in
17 years ago

It is time for me to start up my indoor gardening for the winter in my basement under lights. I have trouble keeping everything watered sufficiently, and I wondered how you all handle this? I have used the APS system using the styrofoam containers, but only part of it. What do some of you do? When I use the APS system with the fabric that draws the water up, I have trouble with the fabric getting all dirty and slick. I have tried different things to help this along--to no avail. I thank you in advance - Barb

Comment (1)

• maineman
    17 years ago

Barb,

After my plants get started I grow them under overdriven fluorescents in tall pots made from the bottom parts of 2-liter soft drink bottles. I place the pots in trays that can hold an inch or two of water and let the water "wick" up into the growing medium.

For prolonged growth times, there can be salt build-up from tap water. I use rain water or melted snow in order to get something close to distilled water without the cost.

Most soluble nutrient formulas don't contain calcium, even though that is a "macronutrient". I use calcium nitrate to provide the calcium in a soluble form.

MM