Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
So, what do you use?

Posted by barb_roselover_in 5a (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 29, 06 at 19:24

It is time for me to start up my indoor gardening for the winter in my basement under lights. I have trouble keeping everything watered sufficiently, and I wondered how you all handle this? I have used the APS system using the styrofoam containers, but only part of it. What do some of you do? When I use the APS system with the fabric that draws the water up, I have trouble with the fabric getting all dirty and slick. I have tried different things to help this along--to no avail. I thank you in advance - Barb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: So, what do you use?

Barb,

After my plants get started I grow them under overdriven fluorescents in tall pots made from the bottom parts of 2-liter soft drink bottles. I place the pots in trays that can hold an inch or two of water and let the water "wick" up into the growing medium.

For prolonged growth times, there can be salt build-up from tap water. I use rain water or melted snow in order to get something close to distilled water without the cost.

Most soluble nutrient formulas don't contain calcium, even though that is a "macronutrient". I use calcium nitrate to provide the calcium in a soluble form.

MM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here