Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gymnasium lights

Posted by bshivley NC (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 13, 05 at 19:26

Does anyone know why I would not be able to use gymnasium style MH lights found in industrial catalogs? They are much cheaper than the hydroponic grow lights on the market and it's a lot easier to find used lights.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gymnasium lights

Just make sure they are a voltage you can work with.I personally feel they are sufficient.there is a lot of information on this forum which you should find helpfull.

o
RE: Gymnasium lights

Industrial/gymnasium lighting is fine for plants, but I would suggest looking for a pulse start metal halide. These will give you more light and use less electricity. Shop around because there are still plenty of people selling what is essentially obsolete equipment using old magnetic ballasts that are just a waste of your money.

Many "plant lights" are exactly the same metal halides with a different sticker on, maybe you get a different reflector housing. Some plant lights do offer different spectrum or the ability to switch to HPS bulbs, which you might find valuable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here