Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ctmurffy

New to growing under lights

ctmurffy
15 years ago

I have grown seeds in the past but would now like to purchase relatively inexpensive lighting to start seeds this next spring. Does anyone have any recommendations of what type of lighting and where to get lights at a reasonable price. I am basically just trying to grow flowers for my yard and some to give away to others. Thanks

Comment (1)

• cannabisgrower
    15 years ago

it's very straightforward. you need to go shopping around the various stores in ur area, and see what kind of shoplights are being sold. you just need whatever is cheap, but be sure to see what kind of ballast is in the fixture, whether it's "energy saving", which is bad, or not "energy saving", which is good. the ballast should supply the amount of current to run the lamp at its full rated wattage capacity, which will ensure the lamps illuminate at their full lumen capability. Probably u will find this to be a t8 type of fixture with 4 foot tubes. this is most common, and most cheap, therefore most useful. buy 4 foot t8 tubes that are labeled "cool white", or 4100K. this lamp will provide the lumens and spectrum most beneficial for growing. if you have a choice between 2 lamps, take the one that offers most lumens. you need to know how many trays of seedlings you wish to raise, and I PACK the fixtures side by side to get the most possible light per square foot. usually 3000 lumens per square foot works well. then decide if you will suspend the lights from a chain, or whether you prefer to fix the lights to the ceiling (like in my garden), and then suspend a piece of 1/2" plywood, stiffened with sufficient 2x2" lumber, to prevent bending, and provide anchoring points, for heavy duty hooks and chain to actually suspend the garden - I prefer this method because 1) it keeps my floor space clear - i have a fairly small area and 2) the seedling are nice and high in the room, which is the warmest and best for growth. My first project, which was met with great success, was to raise about 200 rosa rugosa seedlings, which I did on a 4x6' plywood platform, suspended with chains. Most recently, I used a similar setup to raise 75 rooted rose cuttings last winter, currently forming a nice hedge in a local public park. Decide what scale your project will be, and use your imagination. the only necessity, is to PROVIDE SUFFICIENT ILLUMINATION. Do not skimp on the number of fixtures - install them back to back, and buy however many you need to light the area of garden you're going to plant. 6" wide fixtures are perfect, do not buy the 12" wide fixtures that hold only 2 lamps - this will not provide sufficient illumination.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County