Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
squeeziemonkey

Grow Closet! Ive finally got one!

squeeziemonkey
17 years ago

OK, so after months of trying to figure out where to put my Grow Room I have FINISHED IT!

Originally I intended to add some grow lights to my Office so that I could have both good light AND be able to grow in doors but the lights I got gave off an annoying Pinkish color that I just couldnÂt deal with!

The color and brightness of the lights really annoyed my eyes well, more then the yellow light from the bright room lightsÂ

I had no room in my bedroom and couldnÂt keep them on 24/7 near where I slept and my closet is PACKED FULL so I chose to use the front hall closet that I used to store folded moving boxes!

IÂll go Step by step so that I know I get the full description right!

The closet has a high wire shelf so I took some Zip-Strips and hung the two long grow lights straight down.

I then put a very small box fan and stood that on top of the shelf and set it at an angle so that it keeps the air moving but doesnÂt dry out or over blow the plants!

I lined the door with a piece of translucent plastic (the door is a folding door type and slotted) and covered that with aluminum foil.

I lined the side, back, and unused section of shelf above hanging grow lights with aluminum foil.

I took a slightly shorter then full length mirror and sip stripped it to the wire shelf so that it angles down to focus more of the light onto the plants below and blocks some of the light from shining through the door.

I put the small, square, milk crates down at the bottom to lift the pots closer to the grow lights! I can take them down 1 at a time as the plants grow taller!

Right now, the door doesnÂt really seal so all of the extra heat from the lights escapes but when winter hits and I NEED to keep the heat in I will get some weather stripping or something similar to close the gaps between the door and the side.

All I really have left to do is cut up some cardboard so that I can separate the Grow Section from the Coat Section!

Right now I only have some plants that need a little extra care in there and I mist them once or twice a day to keep the humidity up but I am hoping that by the time I finish sealing off the grow section I will have some salad greens and a tomato or two to put in!

It is a VERY simple set up but I am happy with it for now!

I just need to experiment with the insulation so that the cold Chicago winter wonÂt hinder their growth!

I canÂt wait to eat fresh greens and herbs in the middle of winter!!!

Now if I can just convince my land lord that I am NOT intending to grow Pot in there I will be SET! ROFLMAO!

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE WONDERFUL ADVICE YOU HAVE GIVEN ME!!

I couldnÂt have built this grow room without you all!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm