Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
delawareusa

A Maligned Pea Under Lights

delaware
9 years ago

There's a lid for every pot and there's a loving customer for every vegetable. All several million of them. That is, until now...
An hour ago, I was wandering online through the Seed Savers Exchange catalog and came across a pea that sounded right up my alley and one I could grow under lights, maybe Kratky, maybe DWC. The wildly unpopular Asparagus Pea.
They claimed that it had the delicate flavor of both asparagus and a pea. They claimed that it was the most beautiful vegetable you could grow with frilly vegetation, red flowers, and a gourmet's wonderment of delicacy.
So, I ordered it along with a million other seeds. And then, the fatal mistake...
I found a Youtube video where a distinguished appearing, smartly-dressed urban gardener with not a speck of dirt under his nails spent the first few minutes praising the appearance of this vegetable in his neatly manicured vegetable garden and then he spent the last few minutes panning it with polite but deadly criticism for its flavor. The kill shot came with the fact that his "chef" son claimed it was the worst vegetable he'd tasted and with an ironic smile he added, "If it hasn't caught on since the 1700's, it must taste terrible."
I feel as if he'd just insulted a family member now that I was planning to grow it and apparently naively believed it would taste oh-so-subtly of asparagus.
No matter, I subscribed to his channel anyway and besides, I happen to think that steamed okra with a hint of melted butter and salt is practically a religious experience; so, my judgment may be a bit skewed.
I'll keep you posted on the growth and consumption of the much maligned Asparagus Pea.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!