Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
In the winter, can veggies be grown inside under lights?

Posted by allenwrench 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 7, 08 at 10:24

If so, what sort of veggies are practical to grow inside the house?

Do you have photos of your setup?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: In the winter, can veggies be grown inside under lights?

Certainly, vegetables can be grown indoors under lights.
Most appreciate full sun. Generally I recommend 400w CMH.
With the appropriate reflector, such a light can cover
about 3' x 5' up to about 2' tall.

o

Lermer: Can tomatoes of any size be grown--say at least 6 ounzes? If so, what lighting would you recommend for a 12' X 12' area with twelve plants growing horizontelly?

o

On a TV show they said you can use regular florescent bulbs instead of buying expensive grow lights. If so, do they work as well for growing basil or tomatoes inside?

o

of course.
LED grow lights now also can be applied for veggies.
It can be used as light source, thus contributing to the growth of veggies in greenhouses or indoor gardens and to increase their production.

o

i am attempting peppers and tomatoes - will run MH 800 W x 2 plus HPS 600 W x 1 for a 4 x 9 foot area. I think this might be too much light, but better than too little. I have a 4 x 4 foot propagation garden with 7 x 2 shoplight T8 overdriven, total 14 lamps, 4500 lumen per square foot. This fluorescent garden could even grow short pepper plants or short totatoes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here