Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kes_cor

Compact Fluorescent Lights 150W / 200W

kes_cor
18 years ago

There isn't much posted on Compact Fluorescent 150 watt / 200 watt light fixtures. I am looking at the Sun System VIII system. Anyone with personal experience?

I need to provide lighting for my bougainvillea and jasmines.

Is the lighting good? Do the plants flower under it well?

CFL - Search word!

Comments (10)

• lightmaster
    18 years ago

all i can say is that having three 42W CFL's in a fixture is bright...those will be even brighter...go with it if you want...lightmaster recommends...

~J~

• kes_cor
    Original Author
    18 years ago

How did you create the fixure with three bulbs in it? I'm thinking 3 42 watt bulbs would be cheaper, maybe...

• kes_cor
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Can I convert my existing 250 watt MH fixture to use CFL's? and what wattage and color CFL would you put in it?

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

No, you can't easily convert a metal halide to a CFL lamp. You could rip out all the electrics and use the housing to install a CFL, but why would you want to? The metal halide is more efficient than the CFL so it puts out more light. Personally I think you'd be better off using a 250W metal halide that you already own even if you really only need say 10,000 lumens. Just use it for a a couple of hours less each day.

• lightmaster
    18 years ago

it cost me roughly $30 for the lights and accessories...

I had a box made for them...

~J~

• Perfection_Is
    18 years ago

a 150W CFL sounds insane... how much does it cost?

• lightmaster
    18 years ago

there is a 200W CFL 5500K @ FarmTek...mogul base

-j-

• dmarin
    18 years ago

125W and up CFLs have a horrible track-record for longevity. I have stuck with 85W CFLs(3 of them), and couldn't be happier with lumen maintenance, light output, heat output or color spectrum(6500K).

85W bulbs cost around $25, while 125W-up bulbs cost closer to $60-100.

D.

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

Got a light meter, D? Without it you have no idea what the lumen maintenance is. The human eye can't tell the difference between 100% output and 80% output, but your plants can. Almost every CFL has about the same lumen maintenance, 80% after about 3,000 hours, dropping to 70% at the end of its life.

What do you like about the heat output of these bulbs? How much it is or how little it is? I can tell you how much heat they put out: 255W :) Almost exactly the same as a 250W HID or 6x40W straight tubes!

• kes_cor
    Original Author
    18 years ago

How are you using the 85w CFL's? DId you purchase fixtures for them or did you make them?

I have 3 - 4 large plants I'm trying to create lighting for:

Bougainvillea
    Hibiscus
    Night Jasmine
    Coffee Arabica

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH