Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garden window freezes, need temp sensor to trigger heat lamp

Posted by janet_ann Z6 (NJ) (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 4, 09 at 13:08

Hello,

I have a protruding garden window that unfortunately freezes very easily due its projection outside of the house.

I currently have a 150-watt Infrared Heat Lamp (actually a heat source for small reptiles) that works well here.

However, I want a timer that senses FREEZING TEMPERATURES (not a daily on/ off timer).

Is there such a device? Can somebody send me a link to a good source for this?

Thank you all in advice for your expertise.

Janet

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garden window freezes, need temp sensor to trigger heat lamp

Why not use a plug-in thermostat?

Mike

o

This might help? A little wiring required. Basically it is a switch, all that is needed is to connect the power wire from your light to the leads on the "T" stat L1 (line in)- L2 ( line to load) and it will turn on the light when you want it to. Set it next to the window for best sensitivity to your freezing window. I use it to control my fans in my green house.

Just a suggestion.

Disclaimer: Professional or competent electrician may be required for proper installation. If your not comfortable doing it yourself.

Here is a link that might be useful: Adjustable Power Thermostat

o

My bad. Sorry, The above "T" stat is for cooling only. This link will take you to a Heat only "T" stat. Same installation process. This is what you are looking for, just remember that what ever "T" stat you get it must be rated for 120V AC. to be used as a switch for a 120V AC. light.

AAron

Here is a link that might be useful: Honeywell Manual Elec. Baseboard Heat Thermostat (120-240V)

o
RE:RE: Garden window freezes, need temp sensor to trigger heat l

My bad. Sorry, The above "T" stat is for cooling only. This link will take you to a Heat only "T" stat. Same installation process. This is what you are looking for, just remember that what ever "T" stat you get it must be rated for 120V AC. to be used as a switch for a 120V AC. light.

AAron

Here is a link that might be useful: Honeywell Manual Elec. Baseboard Heat Thermostat (120-240V)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here