Return to the Growing under Lights Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cost of running 200w CFL

Posted by harleygirlmars 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 19, 09 at 14:14

Big Fat Greetz to you all,

I have some hydroponic lettuce and herbs growing inside. After much research, I decided on a Hydrofarm fixture with a 200W CFL bulb (6500K).

Since I am new to hydro, indoor gardening and lighting, I hope I have made a wise decision for lighting. I could have purchased a 125 W CFL but I figured more is better : )

Should I expect a significant increase in utilities considering I am running the light approximately 16 hours per day?

Thanks for any help!

Mars

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cost of running 200w CFL

You can figure out exactly how much it will cost to run.

200 W * 16 hours * 30 days / 1000 = 96 kWh per month

I don't know what you pay for electricity, but the average electrical cost is around 12 per kWh, which would add another $11.52 to your monthly bill.

o

That's not as bad as I expected. I am also running an Aerogarden at aprox. $6 per month and a pump for the hydro. We just got our bill yesterday and it was much lower than I expected.

Thanks for your help!

Mars

o

I'm guessing these are actually 200w equiv. For instance, the pack of 60w equiv bulbs in front of me each use an actual 14w. This had obvious impact on those numbers. Just a hunch. =)

o

stereotype I think your hunch is wrong. Hydrofarm sells a 200w compact fluorescent. I just can't believe anyone would spend that kind of money on a bulb. I'm curious as to the lumen output. I've got 6 double bulb 4' T12 fixtures and bulbs that cost less than the price of the bulb alone.

Here is a link that might be useful: 200w CFL

o

1000bulbs.com sells them for half that cost ( !$53.00). The bulbs are rated at 10,000 lumens.

Mike

o

Well I know where I will buy my replacement bulbs now thanks to Wordwiz (great name, BTW).

So far I am happy with my light choice. It is much cooler than my old 250W HPS, and I find the hue of the light to be much more pleasing . We called the HPS the "streetlight."

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing under Lights Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here