Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sta4

Anyone bought from Northern Lights?

sta4
18 years ago

Anyone ever bought from: http://www.northernlightsgrowroom.com/4%20metalhalide.htm ?

I have a SunSystem III 1000watt MH that I bought in 2003. I've had to send it in for repair once a year every year. While it does have a 5 year warranty and they fix it for free. I am without it for 3 weeks. I'm planning ahead because once the warranty expires I'll need a new one. I haven't been happy with my SS III since it seems excessive for it to need repair every year (i run it 12hrs a day for 6-7 months). Northern lights has a remote ballast (which mine does not) and a six year warranty for about the same price as I paid for my SS III. But a warranty is only as good the company behind it. Any experiences or thoughts.

Comments (6)

• aberneth
    18 years ago

I am trying to buy from Northern Lights at the moment.. well, almost at the point of demanding my money back. Don't give them any of your money!!!!
    I bought a 500W dual spectrum light from them 2 MONTHS ago and have yet to get the light. Apparently stuff was backordered and they didn't bother to tell me till I called and asked. They promised it was shipping that week, but that was 1 MONTH ago and I still don't have it! Plus, the shipping company has no record of any package shipped from their zip code to mine. Now they won't return my phone calls! I am 1 wk away from going to the BBB of Central Indiana, where NorthernLights already has an "unsatisfactory rating due to unanswered complaints". Wish I had looked that up before giving them almost $300 of my money.

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

Put it in writing, with a deadline, that you want your product or your money back. Then kick it up to the credit card company if you get neither.

• aberneth
    18 years ago

shrubs_n_bulbs, thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, northernlights only takes American Express, so I used a check. For this naive move on my part, I guess I get to kick it up to small claims court if a BBB (Better Business Bureau - do they have that in the UK?) warning does not get their attention. I'm a poor grad student who just wanted to grow cacti - I will fight, legally and exhaustively, for my $281.
    My next step is to put it in writing, like you suggested.

Anyone else with advice is welcome to give it!:)

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

Good luck. I'm just getting out my lights this week to get a few cacti through the winter blues.

• sta4
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the info- I'll be looking elsewhere. Good luck- I hope you get your money back. (I was a little wary because they don't have an address anywhere on thier website) My suspensions were confirmed.

• aberneth
    18 years ago

Just an update... I almost couldn't believe it even when I saw it sitting on my porch, but I recieved the light I ordered, 2+months after I ordered it and 4 days after mailing a legalese letter demanding my money back. I think they shipped the light before they got the letter, though. The light seems to work so far.
    I still wouldn't recommend anyone buy from them - it took over 2 months for me to get a light from them when they initially promised 2-3 weeks, and even though backorders/mistakes happen sometimes, not once did they call to tell me about delays (once they did return a phone call, but that's it). They also failed to return any phone calls the whole last 5 weeks, forcing me to start thinking about legal proceedings. It's really unacceptable.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks