Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andyinnyc

Help with containers for seed starting

andyinnyc
13 years ago

Hi. I start my seeds - everything from tomatoes to beets to corn under my shelves of 4' lights.

Each year I buy bags of plastic cups - 4 oz. and 18 oz and punch holes in the bottom. The number of them I seem to have to do always causes me to put off that next round of starts for at least an extra week.

I'm getting really tired of punching holes and lack the time.

http://www.chulaorchids.com/html/square__color.html

has lots of choices for containers (and hey, they already have holes). I'd like suggestions for seed starting - probably the 2 x 2 1/8 containers.

My tomatoes get quite big prior to transplant (and then I bury them deep). I'm thinking I should get the 3.5" x 4" deep squares for transplanting from the smaller size, but would like to gather other people's opinions.

If someone has a better source, or a better container, that would also be appreciated.

Any thoughts?

Andrew

Here is a link that might be useful: Chula Orchids square containers

Comments (3)

• wordwiz
    13 years ago

Andrew,

I reckon a lot depends on how many plants you try to start. I start hundreds and this year probably thousands so what works well for me may be a lot of extra work for you.

One place I would look at is Novosel Enterprises. Also, if you want to keep your seedlings smaller yet stocky, don't use any nitrate type fertilizer and reduce your temps - 70 degrees is more than enough once they start. Also, don't water them unless they need it, but water from the bottom. You will get a great rootball but not a tall plant.

Mike

• taz6122
    13 years ago

I agree. Novosel E. is where I get my stuff. I get 3-72 cell trays and 200-300 4 1/2" pots at least once a year. The pots can be reused for later season plants and even the next year. If I didn't sell and give a few away, I wouldn't have to keep buying them.

• zen_man
    13 years ago

Andrew,

I used to use square 2ý" pots to start my zinnias early, and I could get 32 of them in a standard 11 x 22 tray. But at that size, the seedling's tap root came out the bottom of the pot within a couple of days and needed to be repotted within a week or ten days. So I switched to 3ý" square pots. I could get only 18 of them in a tray, but the root volume was many times as much as with the 2.5" pots, so I could keep my seedlings in the 3ý" pots for several weeks.

I still use those 3ý" square pots, but I tried some of the clear 3.25 inch square pots, and I like them a lot, too, because they are slightly deeper and have a little more root volume than the 3ý" squares, and you can see the development of the roots through the walls of the clear pots. And they have very good drainage. I have pretty much retired my little 2.5-inch square pots as a waste of time. I might find a use for them someday if I start some smaller slower growing seedlings. But zinnias are just too fast for them.

ZM

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022